Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Yanacocha Reserve: June 5, 2010

In my last weekend in Ecuador with my own transport, I chose to visit Yanacocha Reserve one last time in search of the Black-Breasted Puffleg, perhaps the rarest hummingbird in the world. Although this country endemic is supposed to be present at the reserve during the months of May through July, it hasn't been observed yet this year, nor did Aimee and I find it on Saturday morning. We found very little in fact, as intense sun and high winds buffeted the elfin forest, driving birds into the understory. After spending an hour fruitlessly waiting at the hummingbird feeders, we decided to head down slope along the old Nono-Mindo Road. (The Giant Conebill pictured here is on the bird list for the reserve, although I've never seen it at this site myself.)

Notable birds seen: Black-Chested Buzzard-Eagle, Golden-Breasted Puffleg, Purple-Mantled Thornbill, Mountain Velvetbreast, Sword-Billed Hummingbird, Great Sapphirewing, Pearled Treerunner, White-Throated Tyrannulet, Superciliaried Hemispingus, Scarlet-Bellied Mountain-Tanager.